Northern Ireland Museums Council (NIMC) have scheduled a training course for 17th May 2017, ‘Museum Learning: Supporting children with additional needs'. This is taking place at the Northern Ireland War Memorial and the trainer is Anne Harding. The cost is £60 for members, £100 for non-members. Places are limited and must be booked in advance.
Anne delivered a successful training session as part of Playful Museums back in December at Lisburn Museum. Anne is an independent trainer. She specialises in effective provision for children and young people in schools, libraries, museums and other cultural and heritage settings.
This practical course will explore the needs of children and young people with additional needs learning disabilities. The focus will be on identifying appropriate provision and support that museums can provide to children, schools and families.
Expected learning outcomes:
• more understanding of learning difficulties and their implications
• greater awareness of the barriers to learning and participation
• knowledge of the legislative and educational framework to SEN provision
• ways to maximise engagement, learning and enjoyment in school and family visits
• new ideas for inclusive activities and promotions
• strategies for using artefacts and other resources effectively with SEN children
• more confidence when helping children and young people with additional learning needs
Participants are requested to bring one or two artefacts for use in discussion about object-based learning with SEN children.
Bookings should be made to Rachel McCance at Rachel.McCance@nimc.co.uk who is also happy to provide further information.