The Northern Ireland Museums Council (NIMC) has a training course on 18 May at Coleraine Museum.
Engaging with visually impaired visitors
The training is suitable for anyone who would like to develop museum services and programmes which are valued by blind and partially sighted people. The morning session which focusses on visual awareness training is OCN accredited.
The training aims to:
- Dispel the myths and stereotypes surrounding sight loss.
- Advise on how to make your museum services and programmes accessible to everyone.
- Enable you to support a blind or partially sighted visitor or colleague, for example, greeting and guiding techniques.
- Give an awareness of other services available to blind and partially sighted people.
- Provide an opportunity to discuss museum specific examples of engaging and working with visually impaired audiences.
The training will include a chance to visit the ‘Sense of the Past' exhibition where Causeway Museum Service staff will speak on why they hosted the exhibition and the complimentary programmes they have developed for visually impaired visitors.
For further information or to book onto this course please click here to email Karen or phone +44-28-90550215
Facilitators: RNIB & Gemma Reid, Quarto
Venue: Coleraine Museum
Fee: NIMC Members £60.00, Non-members £100.00