County Carlow Military Museum is based in the former St Dympna’s Hospital Church in Carlow Town. One of the museums main displays features the uniforms of the Irish Defence Forces. The Defence Forces service in UN peacekeeping missions in the Congo, Lebanon and Somalia is the focus of other displays. Another feature of the museum is the reconstruction of a World War One trench. One of the museum directors has recently written a book on Carlow Soldiers in the Great War entitled: 'Follow Them Up From Carlow'. Other displays include the Irish War of Independence, Irish Civil War. Our Audio/Visual feature includes footage of the War of Independence and Civil War in Ireland.
The 8th Militia Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps / Carlow Rifles / Carlow Militia is the focus of another display. We have a range of displays relating to Carlow soldiers who have served in army's around the world along with armoured vehicle production in Carlow Town during the 1940's and a new display called the Medieval Soldier."
The museum was founded in 1995 and was based at the FCA Headquaters in Carlow Town. The first opening was in June 1996. In July 2001 the museum opened in its current location on the Athy Road, Carlow Town.
|Address:||Old Church, St. Dympnas Hospital
Athy Road, Carlow, Ireland
|Telephone:||+353 (0) 87 6904242|
|Opening Times:||Open every Sunday from 1st March to 30th November from 2.00pm to 5.00pm.|