The Zoological Museum is situated on the first floor of the university's Zoology Building. Part of the original collection dates back from the Dublin University Museum founded in 1777. The present collection which comprises over 20,000 specimens was moved to a purpose built building in 1876.
Since then, the building has undergone considerable change and this inevitably impacted on the size and content of the museum. There was major refurbishment of the museum in 2005, as a result, the museum has now achieved national acclaim, culminating in a 'Best Collections' award in May 2009. Pride of place is reserved for Ireland's Last Great Auk (extinct 1844).
|Address:||Department of Zoology
Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
|Telephone:||+353 (0) 1 8961679|
|Fax:||+353 (0) 1 6778094|
|Opening Times:||Mon-Fri 10:00-16:00 (via guided tour), Admission charge|