EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum is seekign to appoint a full time Education and Outreach Officer. The closing date for receipt of applications is 31 January 2019.
EPIC tells the moving and unforgettable stories of those who left the island of Ireland, and how they influenced and shaped the world. EPIC embraces the past and the future with 1,500 years of Irish history and culture housed in its atmospheric vaults. In our digital museum, experience the breath-taking story of Irish emigration in state-of-the-art interactive galleries, complete with touch screens, motion sensor quizzes and a feast of powerful audio and video that bring Irish history to life.
This role will work within the museum's curatorial team to plan, programme and deliver a range of educational, family-friendly, and outreach workshops and events to complement the museum team's busy schedule of events. The Education and Outreach Officer will also work closely with the Sales and Marketing Team to identify new opportunities in the educational market.
The ideal person should be passionate about history and education, and be excited about the prospect of building on and expanding a successful programme of education-based and family-friendly events at EPIC.
- An undergraduate or post-graduate qualification in the fields of history, museum studies or education would be desirable.
- Ideally at least 2 years’ experience planning and facilitating workshops for young people
- Experience managing or working with volunteers.
- An in-depth knowledge of the current curriculum in primary and post primary school
- Motivated self-starter.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Administrative experience.
- Attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work together as part of a small, dynamic team.
- Fluent spoken and written English essential.
- Fluency in Irish desirable.
- Delivering current education programmes.
- Spearheading the development of new programmes for schools and university groups which reflect the content of the museum.
- Evaluating programme and workshop activities.
- Working with the Education Officer at the Irish Family History Centre to ensure a smooth hand over of delivery of current Education Programmes in Q1 of 2019.
- Programming creative and interactive family events throughout the year to complement the museum’s activities and to encourage public engagement with the institution, particularly during festivals and school holidays.
- Exploring new initiatives in museum education through membership of professional bodies, attendance at industry conferences and peer to peer engagement.
- Liaising with external stakeholders such as festivals, local organisations, facilitators, to expand education and family offerings.
- Working with partner organisations to enhance current offerings (Irish Family History Centre, CHQ etc.)
- In particular, liaising with the Education Officer at the Irish Family History Centre to arrange joint programming around festivals and public events.
- Liaising with Head of Visitor Experience and VE Events Executive in relation to family events.
- Provide training to Visitor Experience Team to deliver workshops to school and family groups.
- Booking and setting up event spaces for workshops, class groups, etc. and ensuring same space reset and tidied after use.
- Producing engaging content and material for school groups and families (e.g. scavenger trails, museum quizzes, worksheets, etc.).
- Liaising with EPIC’s graphic designer to ensure materials meet branding requirements.
- Maintaining handling collection material, replenishing where necessary.
- Researching and implementing an enhanced plan of Outreach activities to complement the activities of the museum.
- Arranging payment of event facilitators and caterers in a timely manner (this will include setting up supplier forms and raising PO forms).
- Working with Sales and Marketing to ensure correct event copy and information is promoted well in advance.
- Responding to email queries as they arise in the museum department.
- Answering phone calls and general queries.
- Filling out the Events Master list, ensuring Event Planners are sent to all departments in advance of museum events.
- Any and all other duties as requested by the line manager (Deputy Museum Director).
Key Internal Partnerships:
- Working as a key member of the department alongside the Deputy Museum Director, the Senior Curator and the Design Manager.
- Working with key internal partners such as the Sales and Marketing Department and the Visitor Experience Team to ensure all programmes are marketed and delivered to a high standard.
- Liaising with Education Sales Executive to assess school numbers, evaluate programmes, etc.
Click here to visit the EPIC website and make your application.